Friday, August 22, 2008

Are you ready for Digital Television?

February 18,2009 is the day that the nation makes the big switch over to digital signal. When I heard about it I wasn't thrilled. My first thought being that I'd have to figure out how to hook up another box to my television set. I already have my satellite, dvd, vhs and surround sound hooked up to it so where will another one fit in? My next thought was that this was just a ploy to sell me more electronic equipment that would be outdated and need to be replaced in six months. So I did a little digging and here's what I learned:

  • It's our fault that we have to make the switch. They need the analog bands to beef up the services for those mini computers we call cell phones. Plus they need it for emergency services as well.
  • If you're already hooked up to cable or satellite you're okay. Most of the cable and satellite providers are taking care of the switch for you. Even if you have a non-digital television you should be okay. (You can call your provider just to double check.)
  • Anybody that's using an antenna will need a converter box. (All you RVer's our there take note)
  • You can get a $40.00 coupon for a converter box at www.dtv2009.org or call 1-888-DTV-2009. They are allowing two coupons per household and have 25 million coupons available. Incidentally, you can buy a converter box for $40.00 so all you pay is sales tax on the thing. It's practically FREE!
  • It's a green thing to do because now the stations are using energy to send both analog and digital signals.

If you'd like to learn how to hook up your digital converter there's a great video at MonkeySee. Just click on this link http://www.monkeysee.com/video/search?search=dtv

No comments: