Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Epic Sagas, Movie Marathons, and the Lure of Horses

A few weeks ago my husband decided he'd like to watch Lonesome Dove. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Lonesome Dove was originally aired in 1989 as a mini-series. It's based on the novel by Larry McMurty. I haven't read the book but have heard that he does a lot of description. Perhaps too much for some people's taste.

Be that as it may, the mini-series is wonderful. The music, the fabulous cast (Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Danny Glover, Diane Lane) and the breathtaking scenery only serve to enhance a plot full of twists and turns. I still have it on VHS so we watched it, as intended, in two hour intervals.

When we came to the end we were compelled to watch it's sequel Return to Lonesome Dove. And we didn't want to wait. We were still basking in the glow of the first mini-series and needed a fix. So, like the movie junkies we are, we began calling every video and retail store within an hour's drive to see if we could locate a copy.

Bless the guys down at Vintage Stock in Rogers, Arkansas for they had a used DVD which they put on hold for us. We were able to continue the saga, uninterrupted for another three days. Putting us at 12 hours in 6 days.

Not willing to give up the momentum we decided were in a quandary as to what to watch next. Should it be the Gone with the Wind or the Indiana Jones films? I hesitantly suggested The Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's a series of films that I enjoy but my husband isn't into things fantasy.

"Is it really that good?" he asked.

"Yes. And there are horses," I replied.

That was good enough for him and we spent a couple of hours each night for the next six days entranced by the adventures of Frodo, Sam and the ring. Overall, he like the movies but I'm not sure that I made a convert of him horses or no horses.

What are your favorite epic sagas? It's not necessary that they include horses or that they be made into films. I've got to say my favorite one as far as reading goes is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. How about you?

No comments: