For instance, just by listening I've learned:
- No less than three theories about where Elvis is currently living.
- A really good reason never to eat frog legs.
- How to subframe a car.
- Three really good reasons not to drink tequila.
- What to say to your ex that will constitute terroristic threatening.
- All about french drains
- Why artificial sweeteners will kill you
- The merits of implants versus real boobs
I could go on and on but you'd probably rather I didn't. The cool thing is that all of these things will surface somewhere in my writing one day. Even if it's just something that I know about a character that no one else does.
If you're not a natural freak magnent like me then you may have to be a little sneaky about it. I'd suggest sitting on a bench in your local box store. You'd be amazed at what you can learn in just half an hour.